Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A Dog's Life

I don't usually watch much TV, but I happened to click through (yeah...a guy thing!) and catch a portion of "The Glenn Beck Show" on CNN. He was doing a short piece on the latest and greatest for man's best friend. All I could do was shake my head in wonder at the lengths to which people will go to supposedly find contentment. The latest appears to be to buy expensive little pure-breds and the dress them up in the finest clothing available, give them spa treatments, and basically treat them like little people! This segment introduced us to two stores in New York...one a basic Ralph Lauren shop that had a whole section devoted to clothing for your dog! How about an alligator leash for a mere $500? A little poochie shirt with Ralph's logo on the collar for only $45? The other had whole lines of clothing, but specialized in "Day Care" to include hot oil massage in their spa!

My family owns a dog, and he spends his share of the takehome dollar, but not in the attempt to treat him like a person!

OK...I shouldn't be surprised at the length people will go to make themselves feel good. A small dog always loves you, and he never talks back (well...ours is a large dog, and he DOES talk back!). So what's wrong with spending big $$ to make little Fifi spiffy?

I can see the argument now...but you spend money on things that aren't absolutely necessary as well, don't you? I suppose I do. But at least I'm aware of it, and understand that the money has been provided by God, and I AM accountable for what I have done with it. And hopefully in that portion of the sanctification process, I am becoming more mature and seeing money as a tool to be used to God's glory.

Maybe I am blind, but I just can't see how God is glorified with designer clothing for a dog....

No comments: